House rules for your visit to the Embassy of the Free Mind
You are very welcome to visit our museum to read, study or explore the pearls of two thousand years of free thought!
- booking online is mandatory, also when you have a Museumkaart, ICOM card or Stadspas
- It is only possible to pay by card in the museum
We are happy to inform you that tours and events will take place as usual until further notice. We will do our utmost to guarantee the safety of our visitors and staff both inside the museum and during our activities and will therefore abide by the national museum protocol.
To buy an online ticket for a specific time slot, click here.
What to bring with you? A headset and a charged phone or tablet
We have developed an audio tour taking you past a number of the museum’s highlights. You can listen to the audio tour on your mobile phone or tablet (so make sure they are sufficiently charged!) and using your own headset or earbuds. We do not sell earbuds ourselves. Should you not have a phone or a tablet, we have a limited number of iPads you can borrow.
What can you do yourself?
Visitors are asked to observe the following rules which are issued by the Netherlands Museums Association protocol.
- Stay at home if you don’t feel well.
- Visitors must have a ticket which has been bought online and is valid for the day and the time slot booked. Do not arrive long before your time slot begins to avoid queues. We regret it is not possible to visit the museum without prior booking.
- Contactless payment (pin or mobile phone) is preferred.
- School trips of children under 12 take place in line with the latest advice by the Dutch National Institute for Public Health (RIVM), in consultation with the local emergency services network and the school in question.
- Please always follow hygiene measures.
- Please always follow the directions of museum staff and volunteers.
General rules Embassy of the Free Mind visit
- You must be in possession of a valid entrance ticket (day pass or annual pass).
- Please leave your coats and bags in one of the lockers or in the cloakroom.
- Eating and drinking is only allowed in our café.
- Smoking is not allowed.
- You only have access to the public areas on the ground floor and the first floor.
- Please act respectfully towards the museum staff, other visitors and the building at all times.
- No animals allowed.
Rules for consulting books
- Books must be consulted in the reading room on the first floor.
- You may use your own laptop. Wifi is available throughout the building.
- You may take books from the open shelves but please make sure to put them back in the exact same place.
- Writing in books or damaging them in any way is strictly forbidden.
- You are not allowed to take books out of the building. The staff may ask you to inspect your bags when you leave the museum.
- Please apply by e-mail two days in advance to consult pre-1800 books or manuscripts. You will need to sign a form for this.
- You must adhere to the special regulations laid down in the form for consulting pre-1800 material.
If one of these rules is not respected, employees are authorized to request visitors to leave the premises or, if necessary, to call in the police.